2012 was a memorable year for moviegoers and Bollywood. Not only were the movies memorable, but the characters of the movies also created a place in our hearts. Here is a list of the most unforgettable Bollywood characters of 2012 :
1. Veronica in Cocktail: Deepika Padukone hushed her critics by playing veronica oh-so-flamboyantly. She was carefree, coquettish, modern and cool. Deepika played the role with panache and testified her acting skills.
2. Shashi Godbole in English Vinglish: Sridevi! The name itself reverberates roars of admiration. Sridevi as a regular housewife ( read homemaker) with two kids was a delight to watch in this simple yet effective movie. Gauri Shinde wrote one of the most endearing characters ever.
3. Tehmur in Talaash: In a movie which starred Kareena Kapoor, Rani Mukerjee and Amir Khan, a guy called Nawazuddin Siddiqui blew the audience’s mind. Reema Kagti and Zoya Akhtar wrote the characters really well, the characters were so life like and layered, that the culmination of the movie, left one outraged. His escapade from the goons is one of the most gripping scenes i have ever watched.
4.Paan Singh Tomar in Paan Singh Tomar: This biopic about an athlete turned Chambal valley dacoit was a marvel in itself. Irfan breathed life into the character as no one else could. The movie received critical acclaim and was an apt tribute to a lost hero.
5. Chulbul Pandey in Dabangg2: There could be a “Tiger” replacing this space but, pandeyji wins hands down! Salman Khan and his formulaic films are striking gold in the box-office. The man is raking the moolah and how! This is one role Salman does absolute justice to, and one can notice how the man loves playing chulbul pandey. His histrionics make his fans fall in love with him all over again.
6. Arnab Bagchi in Kahaani : Though he was just a fragment of fiction, used to manipulate the manipulative, he is one character people wont forget about!
7. V/Bidya Bagchi in Kahaani: Seldom comes a movie in which the woman is the hero. Mrs. Bagchi ostensibly was a pregnant woman, within a quagmire of a network of adversaries, she battled her enemies with bravado and chutzpah to find her lost husband. Vidya Balan was superlative, she carried the movie on her shoulders, or should we say belly, and gave a performance of a lifetime.
8.Jhilmil and Barfi in Barfi: Just because the two, explained the most beautiful kind of love to us, I would rather not count them as two separate individual characters. It was like Jhilmil and Barfi were from a Disney fairy tale movie. They told the most simplest of love stories between the simplest people but the way they did it was inexplicable. Priyanka Chopra perhaps gave her career’s best as an autistic girl and tiptoed into the hearts of her audience. Ranbir carried the movie forward on his strong shoulders, mute tongue and expressive eyes. The two are a close second to Raj and Simran who happen to be the most romantic and remembered couples of bollywood in today’s times.
9. Kancha Cheena in Agneepath : Sanjay Dutt shaved his head and brows to give birth to one of the most sinister characters of 2012, Kancha Cheena. This character had a malign demeanor and his eyes glistened with malevolence. Sanjay revived his career and gave a new definition to “bad” with this character.
10. Major Samar Anand in Jab Tak Hai Jaan: “Teri ankhon ki namkeen mastiyaan………………” the opening lines of Jab Tak Hai Jaan made girls swoon at the very sight sight of Samar Anand, the man who cannot die. Shahrukh Khan juxtaposed two different shades of Samar, pre and post interval. In an overlong saga of love separation and reconciliation Samar Anand was a saving grace.
P.S. Special mention to baddies Rauf Lala (Agneepath) and Bob Biswas (Kahaani) the “namaskar ” man. The two characters oozed meanness and bestial qualities. Rishi Kapoor and Saswata Banerjee etched Rauf Lala and Bob Biswas respectively onto the audience’s mind.
Author : TUNJEENA AHMED
Editor: Saheli Goswami
Graphics and Banner: Ranita Kakkar