Rajeev Khandelwal has always made unconventional choices in his career. So when it was announced that he will be coming soon in Alt Balaji’s Haq Se, we were sure that the show will have something promising to offer.
It is no surprise that viewers have loved the show and can’t seem to stop gushing over Rajeev’s portrayal of Naushad.
We at Fuze got in touch with him to talk about Haq Se, Kashmir and much more!
• How different was Naushad’s character from the other characters you have essayed so far? What was the thought process that forced you to pick a character like Naushad Rizvi?
I don’t know how different was Naushad from other characters that I have played. I guess those of who have seen me play Sujal, Capt Rajveer, Dr Aamir Ali, Inspector Arvind Mathur will be in a better position to say how different Naushad was. As an actor I must have drawn some inspiration from all these characters because Naushad is a very human character with multiple emotions.
• What about Haq Se attracted you the most to say a yes to it?
It all began with the script. I think the true heroes of this show are Devika Bhagat, Renuka Kunzru and Ekta Kapoor. They are the ones who set the framework for Haq Se.
• Your views on – Kashmir – a Paradise as the world fondly calls it OR Kashmir – A jail where you are allowed to dream but not allowed to accomplish those dreams?
Kashmir is a paradise which has been misrepresented by most of those who vociferously feign to represent it. Kashmir should be about Kashmiris and not about India and Pakistan. Whatever I know and understand of Kashmirisis that they are very simple and loving people. If at all they have hardened it is because of the continuous atrocities bestowed on them. They want to prosper and progress just like any Indian would want to. Their voice is not even heard. There are always these so called representatives who have motives from which no ordinary Kashmiri benefits. So I would still call it a paradise but a paradise which is being plundered for no fault of those who inhabit it.
• “Hum jee nahi rahe hain.. maut ka intezaar kar rahe hain..” – This dialogue reflects the pain of not just Kashmiris but everyone who is living in an area where riots and gunshots are a frequent thing. As Naushad, how would you react if you would lose a loved one in these riots?
I would feel devastated…feel cheated by my own countrymen and feel extremely heartbroken about the administration whom we choose to run our country. As Naushad I may just permanently carry an anger against the system.
• A similarity and a difference between Rajeev and Naushad?
Both of us don’t need any external support to live is a similarity. The difference would be that Rajeev is zero judgemental but life has made Naushad the opposite.
• Which would be the most difficult scene you have shot for the web series?
The sequence where I had to interview Surveen. It was loaded with such heavy medical terms that it took me a few days to remember my lines only. Then our dear Ken loves making it even more difficult by taking the shots in entirety. It was a nightmare that got over only with the scene.
• In today’s world what ‘legit right’ does an Indian need to claim Haq Se?
The right to express and the right to information.